Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Discussion # 11

Some educators feel that distance technologies will greatly improve education; some feel education will suffer if they are overused. What are factors you can cite in support of each of these positions?

Distance technologies can be a great improvement in education. I feel it is best used for higher education learning. It provides the opportunity to have a student be able to interact with their classmates and professors. It is also convenient because of the mileage, gas, and wear and tear of your vehicle. Also the babysitting issue will be resolved. The student would be able to look after their children and still be able to get a good education. It is designed for the students who are dedicated and motivated to learn on line. It requires commitment. You can take quizzes or test on line as desired or the time would be allotted to finish within a time frame. It makes it easier for the students to access information as needed while on line with professor. If the students have web cams, it would have more interaction because a face would be attached to what is written. I think videoconferencing at this distance technology based program would help in live footage.

Distance learning can also create problems such as students distancing themselves from real life. The interaction with others, the social skills needed to continue on, the formality of just speaking to a live face-to-face person. The issue I see with that is the truthfulness when taking quizzes or completing assignments on line. There can be students that can have others do their assignments for them. Virtual courses can never take the place of teachers. Even though there is technology a teacher must present information in their way. I prefer to bring in technology daily but of course not everything is placed on power points. Teachers can integrate distance learning as a resource available for the middle schoolers.

2 comments:

  1. Ruth, I think you are correct that distance learning is best for higher education, but I think that it could have a place in helping challenged high school students complete their degrees, too. There would have to be a program in place to help with accessing technology, I'm sure, but wouldn't it be great to see some of the kids who can't go to school because they're supporting their family or have children to take care of be able to work on their education for an hour or two every night until they finish? It wouldn't be the right program for everyone, but for someone with some drive and motivation, it might just be what it takes to pull them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, you made some very good points. I enjoyed reading your blog. I agree that the convenience of distance learning allows some people to attend school that might otherwise not be able to. I agree that the cost would be less for those students who would need to obtain child care.

    I have never taken a class where we used web cams. I do think that would add a component that might help some students.

    The committment and determination is more dependent upon the individual learner. Disciple is key to obtaining knowledge.

    The social limitations of distance learning is a deterent for some. I think distance learning has enabled more people to return to school and gain higher education and degrees.

    ReplyDelete