Some people say drill and practice is really "drill and kill." What can teachers do to make sure this kind of use doesn't happen and drill and practice can serve a useful function?
If teachers are stated to "drill and kill," the reason may be because the students cannot comprehend the information. Yes, I have "drilled and killed" because I had given a test to see how many terms through out the year the students actually learned. Majority did not even recall half of the terms studied through out the year. I had repeatedly discussed the terms in many of our stories read. I did feel stressed out after almost a whole year of going over the terms and students still did not know the terms. I decided to do a jeopardy game with them. It took time to set up the game on-line/power point but it worked at the end. They thought of it as an interactive game. I saw it as a new way of learning the information.
I have had students that need more than the basic discussion/lecture. I noticed many of them need to use flashcards and branching drills too. I noticed when I had them work on the extensive feedback activities with Read 180, they seemed to have learned more because it was constant immediate feedback. They did not learn the information the wrong way and then taking longer to reprocess it correctly. I noticed the drill and practice can serve as a useful function in motivating kids to type and learn musical notes. Also to prepare for test was very helpful. For example, it can be used as SAT skills. Our students have not been introduced to that but they can to help them get the feel of the test. Drill and practice can be done in a learning style where you may place the children in front of the program for 10-15 minutes, so that they don't get bored.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ruth,
ReplyDeleteYou gave an excellent motivational drill and practice activity into a game which your students enjoyed greatly. I am sure that they were able to retain the vocabulary words in a more meaningful state because you took the time to make this game and learning fun for them. That's what great teachers do. Great Job! You also mentioned using flashcards for your students and their reponse in memorizing the concept was successful. Immediate feedback is also very important in drill and practice so that the students do not form any bad habits in their learning.
Ruth,
ReplyDeleteExcellent example I wish all teacher where as motivational as you. Unfortunally not all of us are.